Late final month, chef Eeshan Kashyap and REDHEART Weekend’s wellness columnist, Vasudha Rai, had an in-depth dialog about zero waste cooking. Organised as a part of the continuing #LockdownwithWeekend sequence on Instagram reside, the session additionally focussed on how our meals habits have an effect on the cycle of waste, simple methods to utilise fundamental waste similar to peels and ideas for meal planning.
Main takeaways from the session:
– The primary rule of zero waste is FIFO: First In, First Out. Because of this no matter goes into the fridge first should be utilised first.
– Don’t throw away coriander roots. Dry them they usually can be utilized to flavour soups, stews, sauces and shares.
– Leftover bread crumbs should be dried, toasted and pulverised. Kashyap likes to sprinkle them on scrambled eggs so as to add some crunch.
– Eggshells could be floor and used with dishwashing cleaning soap/liquid to wash heavy utensils. As well as, they are often scattered on plant soil to fertilise them.
– Leftover banana peels (ideally contemporary) are nice to shine leather-based sneakers or silverware.
– Onion peels could be added to inventory to boost its flavour.
– All citrus peels could be became bitters for cocktails. Technique: macerate peels of two oranges in 200 ml of liquid like vodka.